Saturday, December 11, 2010

Elephant in the Room

So Andrew and I are in Houston for the weekend. Andrew is refereeing church league basketball starting in January and therefore has his preseason meeting Saturday morning. And I just decided to tag along in the midst of finals, which I'm procrastinating as much as possible :)

I was looking forward to coming to Houston but as the time grew close to us leaving, I became very apprehensive and Andrew could definitely tell something was wrong. The reason I was so apprehensive was because of what Andrew's dad had told me over the Thanksgiving break. Sunday afternoon he pulled me aside to talk to me. The first words out of his mouth were "as my potential future daughter-in-law....there are a few things I'd like to discuss with you". He said something about Andrew, and then he started to say that my mom kept herself looking good for her age (which confused me) and then said that I had less than a year to walk down the aisle and that he thought that my mother wouldn't want to see THAT as he pointed to my belly. At first I could only think about daughter-in-law and walking down the aisle. What the heck. Then I thought about the other part...oh yeah. He told me I was fat and that I need to lose weight. So harsh, right? He went on to tell me a few other things, which I will not repeat. Deep down I know he's right, I've picked up about 30 pounds since I met Andrew. But it still really hurt. Although I think it might give me more motivation to actually get up off my ass and do something about my weight. Of course Andrew had no idea what was going on until we got back to CS a few hours later and I was still upset.

So that's why I didn't want to come to Houston for the weekend, I feared he might say something more about that whole conversation and I would only cry more. So I will let you know on Sunday how the weekend goes.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Natalie. That is awful. I'm sorry. :(

    You are STUNNING. ALWAYS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie. If you want to lose weight than do it for yourself, not because someone insensitive told you that you should.

    I can understand wanting the approval of the important people in your life, but if you are happy the way you are than everyone else should be too.

    Your physical appearance is YOUR business first, then whoever else you want to add into that mix.

    ReplyDelete