Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Big Girl Decision

This week, I've told myself to put my big girl panties on and make a very important decision on something that has been in the back of my mind for over a month now (or maybe two months).

Sooooooo my big decision is....

I'm finally cutting off my hair to donate to Locks of Love! In case you don't know or haven't heard of Locks of Love, it's a non-profit that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged kids in the US and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. If you want more info feel free to check out their site here.

I thought about doing this at the very beginning of the semester, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I wasn't ready to cut my hair off and I still wanted to enjoy it. But now I'm ready for it to be gone. This afternoon I measured my hair, and it's 27 INCHES LONG! Whoa. I guess I never really thought about it being so long because I never see it. I'm just tired of having long hair and taking care of it. It can take me 45 minutes just washing it! But thank goodness I don't have to straighten it, that would be the real pain especially after blow drying it too. The minimum amount required to donate is 10 inches, and I'm planning to donate a whole foot. Andrew hates the idea, as he loves my long hair but what I do with my hair is my decision, and I may or may not grow it out again. Cutting 12 inches off my hair will put the length at chest level, so it will still be long-ish.

When will this be happening you ask? Great question! I want to keep my hair long for Erik and Shala's wedding (but I really need a trim between now and then--or perhaps when I'm home for Easter I'll chop it all off) but I don't want to go halfway through summer and not have it done because I will be burning up! So, I'm planning to do it at the end of May. And I promise I will post lots of pictures because it is definitely a memory worth keeping :) I'm thinking shorter bangs with a little layering perhaps?

This was my hair three years ago. My hair used to be layered, and I was growing my hair back out. Please ignore the split ends, I was in desperate need of a haircut! Since then, it has grown another 5 inches or so and it is all one length (or close to it)

Freshly trimmed hair right after Christmas--it might now be maaaybe 2-3 inches longer than that because sometimes it gets stuck in my jeans. Oops.

Are you excited as I am about this??!??!

No comments:

Post a Comment