Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Raise Your Right Hand

Yesterday I showed up at the city courthouse for a trial that was about a car accident from 3 and a half years ago. The wreck happened over Christmas break of my freshman year, I was dropping Megan off at school and was headed home afterwards. I happened to be driving Megan's car because she didn't have her license yet and I was tired of driving a stick shift. So we took her car to school. I ended up accidentally t-boning a 16 yr old in his pickup truck. The damage was minor to both vehicles and a police report was written. A month later my dad had back surgery and shortly after that the guy who I had hit (and his family) came after my dad personally, since the title of the vehicle was in his name, for ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Obviously my dad does not have that kind of money and I don't remember what happened except that they tried to go after his home and business. Almost 2 years after the wreck I got served with paperwork stating that the guy and his mother are sueing my dad and me for several things, including mental and physical anguish as well as future expenses. The insurance company offered therm $11,000 but they decided not to take it. I had no idea what would happen. In May 2010 I got a call from my attorney (provided by the insurance company) saying that I would have to come home and answer questions about the wreck. Summer school was going on but I got a break and came home. In that time my dad had gone through quintuple bypass surgery and later was dropped from the case. Another year goes by and a trial date is set for April 11, 2011. No clue what happened with that. And now it's July. Did you follow all that?

So after arriving to court at 8:15 in the morning, I sat there and listened and watched, thinking that I had so many better things to be doing than sitting there. The plaintiffs requested compensation of about $80,000. Things were finally over around 5:30 and I couldn't wait to hear what had been decided. The jury concluded that the guy I hit should only receive about $8,000 which is less than the original offer. It was obvious that they were very irritated and frustrated at the small amount of money they had received. It was the longest day in court I've ever been to and I hope I never have to do anything like it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment