Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chicken Pasta Salad

Adapted from Six Sisters' Stuff
I tried this recipe a little over a week ago, and I really enjoyed it (but of course each chef has their own preferences and tastes so I tweaked it a little bit) and so did Andrew and his roommate Alan. The boys managed to eat through about half of it, then the rest I enjoyed as leftovers for a few days longer, and it tasted better each day!

1 lb. cooked, shredded chicken (I bought a rotisserie chicken from HEB and used the whole 2 lb. chicken)
1 lb. cooked rotini or bow tie noodles
2 heads broccoli, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/3 onion, chopped
1 can diced olives
1 clove garlic, diced

Dressing:
2 envelopes dry Italian dressing mix
6 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
4-1/2 Tbs. water
1/2 cup oil

To save myself some time, I chopped up the vegetables, olives, and garlic, made the dressing in a ziploc bag,  and left it in the fridge overnight. This gave the veggies and dressing time to mix and absorb flavors. Combine the chicken with the veggies then pour the dressing over the veggies and chicken and mix together. Refrigerate before serving (I was able to skip this because my pasta, veggies, and dressing had been in the fridge overnight). You can also add a cup of shredded cheese and 1/2 cup of ranch dressing to the mix, but I really didn't care about adding this (although it holds everything together) because I wanted to cut out some of the fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment