Thursday, March 28, 2013

Random Thursday

Linking up with Em, Lin, and Meg for Random Thursday!

Today's topic....

Obviously, books are almost ALWAYS better than the movies in my opinion, but there are some darn good movies that did the books justice. 

     

First up, The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I absolutely LOVED the book, and saw the movie more than twice while it was in theaters. Emma Stone as Skeeter was freaking awesome.

     

To this day, my boyfriend will probably swear to you that I HATED The Hunger Games movie when I first saw it. I felt like so much had been left out, but as time passed the movie grew on me. The books were super easy to read--I think I finished all three of them in one weekend. And I can't wait to see what's in store for Catching Fire & Mockingjay!!


I don't care what you say--I truly loved all the Harry Potter movies. Yes, of course parts had to be cut out, but for a franchise this large I think they did a phenomenal job. Sometimes I still don't believe that the whole thing is over and complete. I remember staying up late with my mom to see midnight showings and going to Books A Million for the midnight book premieres. 

On a related note, has anyone read The Host? The movie comes out TOMORROW, and I'm not sure if I want to see it or not. But I really loved the book [same as I did with the Twilight saga, but the movies were awful]. Have you read it? Are you going to see it in theaters?

     

My weekend starts tomorrow, I'm supa excited!
Now, go link up with those lovely ladies!

9 comments:

  1. I'm really curious about The Host. I wasn't a fan of the Twilight movies but I love Diane Kruger and Saoirse Ronan so I'm thinking this movie couldn't be too bad. I guess we'll find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't seen The Help but the movie is great! And I can't get enough of the Harry Potter books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally loving your picks. Right on, they're all fantastic. Although, when it comes to Harry Potter I can only give my opinion on the movies. Yeah, I'm like the last person in North America to not have read those books haha. I've heard great things about The Host (book) and have even thought about reading it, although I'm pretty hesitant because its written by the same author as Twilight...ick. If you see it this weekend you'll have to let me know if it's any good.

    Thanks so much for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See your one of my newest followers and wanted to stop by and say hello! I am a fellow lover of Harry Potter too and even though I have never read The Host, the previews make it look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow Krista! You really should check out both the book & movie. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it this weekend

      Delete
  5. we had 2 out of 3 in common! i just finished the book wednesday and am going to the host today!!

    http://growninsouthernground.wordpress.com/2013/03/28/random-thursday-6/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for NOT saying "P.S. I Love You." Don't even get me started on the horrible casting of Hilary Swank (complete opposite of the petite, feminine blond in the book), elimination of an important character (Hello! There was a brother in there that was a big part of the plot!), and other plot falls (her lack-of-job played a much bigger role). The book was about closure and moving on. The movie was about wallowing in loss and self-pity. AND HILARY SWANK'S ENORMOUS MAN MOUTH. Ugh.

    Sorry. Pet peeve #485163 of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY??? I've never read the book, but it's on my to-read list. And I haven't seen the movie all the way through. So maybe it's a good thing I haven't gotten around to it yet.

      Delete
    2. Definitely read it. It's my favorite book ever. By far. Maybe that's why I'm so harsh on the movie? Gerard Butler was PERFECT casting but Hilary Swank not at all. Get her image out of your head and you'll be golden. The book was an emotional roller coaster of laughing and crying - while the movie was just crying the whole time. Phillip's mom lost her first husband suddenly a couple of years into their marriage so it hit even closer to home for her.

      SPOILER ALERT: The book also ends quite differently than the movie - a word of warning.

      If you buy the book, try to aim for the cover with the blond holding letters and hearts around her (pink/red cover). That should help get Hilary out of your head.

      A must-read!!!

      Delete