Sunday, June 28, 2015

Emergency Room Visits

So this week has been one of the most exciting and stressful weeks on fieldwork I've experienced thus far.  On Monday, I was working with a patient with a CVA and we were standing at the counter completing a variety of tasks.  We had been working for about half an hour and he took a short break before standing up at the counter again.  Bonnie (my supervisor) came over and had a few ideas of her own.  No more than 5 minutes after she came over did this patient appear to have a seizure.  He said he couldn't find what he was looking for on the counter because he couldn't see, then his eyes rolled back into his head and he became rigid and unresponsive.  Additionally, his skin color turned to a gray color and his lips started turning blue.  Immediately, Bonnie called 'rapid response' which is essentially the emergency code for the hospital.  While we awaited their arrival, we were able to get his seated in a chair (still unresponsive) and attempted to take his blood pressure. Long story short, rapid response took him to the ED and kept an eye on him.

On Thursday, another patient who is receiving both OT and PT came in early for her appointment, and found me after I returned from lunch and said she wasn't feeling like her usual self.  She complained of severe abdominal pain and her blood pressure was somewhere around 170/120, which is higher than her normal (she has hypertension and is on medication).  Between myself, Bonnie, the PT treating her and a PTA who had seen her previously, we chose to call rapid response.

So needless to say, it was a crazy busy week.  But perhaps the most exciting part of my week is the fact that my mom is here and Bonnie gave me Friday off to enjoy my time with her!  I'll have to tell y'all all about my adventures another time though. Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment