Thursday, January 28, 2016

Learn About Yourself

After attending the weekly department meetings, I'm quickly learning there are very different personalities and ways of communicating. And I'm also learning that not everyone is on the same page when it comes to educating students (for example, the students are so confused on how to write goals because they've been taught eight million different ways to write them--I totally understand their frustrations) which can be problematic at times. All of this made me think about my learning styles and strengths which we talked about in school but there's no way I'll find that info buried in my laptop so I decided to dig it up and see how I can better fit myself into the puzzle that is my ProRo.

To start, I am a multi-modal learner, which means I learn in multiple ways. If you're unsure on what type of learner you are, check out this quick quiz. Specifically, I learn best when information is presented visually, auditorally [not sure that's a real word but go with it], and physically (aka tactile/kinesthetic). This also means that info can be presented to me in many ways and I can still learn from it, which may be the same for most people. Some other info I found discussed which parts of the brain are used with each learning style. Based on my learning style, I use my occipital and temporal lobes, cerebellum, and motor cortex to recall info, and it's all thanks to brain-imaging technology. Kinda cool right?

Something I completed in undergrad and again in OT school was the StrengthsFinder Profile. Technically I did the StrengthsQuest Profile, but my results didn't change. My top strengths are (in exact order): Developer, Adaptability, Positivity, Empathy, and Includer. What does all this mean?

Developer
People especially talented in the Developer theme recognize and cultivate the potential in others. They spot the signs of each small improvement and derive satisfaction from these improvements.

Adaptability:
People especially talented in the Adaptability theme prefer to “go with the flow.” They tend to be “now” people who take things as they come and discover the future one day at a time.

Positivity:
People especially talented in the Positivity theme have an enthusiasm that is contagious. They are upbeat and can get others excited about what they are going to do.

Empathy:
People especially talented in the Empathy theme can sense the feelings of other people by imagining themselves in others’ lives or others’ situations.

Includer:
People especially talented in the Includer theme are accepting of others. They show awareness of those who feel left out, and make an effort to include them.

I think those strengths describe me...what do you think?

One other thing we did during undergrad (which I'm sure you've heard of) is the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator which you can take an easy, free version here. There are 16 different types out there, and sometimes you can fall into multiple types, as there's always gray areas in life. For me, I have an ISFJ personality [meaning Introversion, Sensing, Feeling, and Judging] and 16 Personalities says ISFJs are true altruists, meeting kindness with kindness-in-excess and engaging the work and people they believe in with enthusiasm and generosity. Even looking at the strengths and weaknesses, I think this personality type fits me well. 

So how might I use this knowledge during ProRo? Definitely when working with others it will help to know my strengths and weaknesses so I can be the best me possible [does that make sense?] and form hopefully lasting relationships with faculty members. Even when helping students, my strengths may help in ways faculty members strengths may not be as helpful. Who knows. 

Too much you wanted to know about me? NEVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment