Monday, February 22, 2016

The Not-So-Pretty Side of Academia

*Disclaimer* 
This post is strictly for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the completeness and accuracy of the info found here, and I reserve the right to remove this post at anytime.

Like every typical Monday, the department had their usual scheduled meeting over the lunch hour. Only this week's meeting was unlike any other meeting I've attended thus far. Last week was midterm for UTMB students currently on fieldwork and some students are certainly struggling.

This meeting was devoted to determine the best approach to address the issue of a student who failed the midterm evaluation for fieldwork. 

I can't go into detail (sorry for being vague!), but everyone discussed the student's strengths and weaknesses. The entire time faculty debated on the best possible option for the student in question. Sitting there listening to the faculty members converse back and forth, I couldn't help but wonder if any of my classmates were ever in a similar situation during fieldwork. If anyone was I certainly never heard about it. Besides, I would never want a classmate to fail fieldwork and be removed from the program! But to play devil's advocate, if a student failed fieldwork and didn't do well academically, should they really be allowed to continue?

So friends, what would you do? If the fate of this student continuing OT school rested upon your shoulders, would you give them another chance or give them the boot?

No comments:

Post a Comment