Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Post-Vacay

Today is my first day back in the office after being gone a whole week for spring break plus I took yesterday off to attend my Papaw's funeral in Tyler. Very sad, but his memorial service was wonderful and we knew it was a matter of when he would pass, not if. Thanks in advance for your condolences.

Anyways, the week before everyone left for spring break I completed a new patient evaluation at St. Vincent's clinic. I looked at his range of motion and some muscle testing, as well as quick vision and cognition screens. I felt a little perplexed after doing the evaluation and I haven't given it a second thought until now. He's a middle aged man who had a stroke earlier this year. His primary complaint is dizziness and soreness, and the soreness is all over his body. As I was interviewing him, he misheard some of the questions I asked. Initially, I thought nothing of it but it happened a second time. What I was asking and his answer definitely didn't add up. Occasionally he was unable to follow my verbal commands (like when we were testing range of motion). His balance isn't that great either. Something was off, yet I can't pinpoint what it is.

Being in an academic setting, that afternoon made me feel like my clinical skills have dwindled drastically (nice alliteration, huh?) but I still felt confident during the eval and the students were able to follow and understand what I was doing and why I was doing it.

I want to continue addressing the pain in his upper extremities, while also figuring out more about what's happening with his cognition as well as how his balance is doing. I know he's also receiving physical therapy from the same clinic, but I'm not sure PT is helping him all that much either. We'll see how things go at the end of next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment