Tuesday, April 26, 2016

OT Advocacy

Advocating for patients and for the profession are huge pieces to promoting occupational therapy. Professional advocacy can come in may different forms, such as working with insurance companies, state & national therapy associations, networking, lobbying, writing letters to your state representative. Patient advocacy may be more familiar to people as OTs are required to justify why a client needs services, or why they need continued services. It is our responsibility to use our knowledge and clinical skills to stand up for each patient as we see fit.

Also, last weekend Andrew and I met with some of our friends in our young marrieds church class. They asked me what occupational therapy is since they hadn't heard of it (no surprise there).  Since English wasn't their first language, it was a bit of a challenge. I broke it down into occupations being everyday activities (ADLs), more complex activities (IADLs), and community mobility. I also told them the big piece of occupational therapy is increasing independence for everyone in whatever way possible. OTs work across the lifespan, modifying and educating the people we work with and their families/caregivers.

The next question I got was interesting. The wife of the couple asked me if I could do any job, what would it be? And without skipping a beat, I told her I love what I'm doing as a therapist. Seeing clients make progress warms my heart and I find it so rewarding.

And now more people know about what I do! Keep spreading the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment