Thursday, April 14, 2016

Professional Requirements in Texas

A huge piece of information I've been working on for my final project is to outline the requirements of supervision in the great state of Texas. Having gone to school in Nebraska, I feel at a slight disadvantage in my knowledge of licensure and the rules and whanot.

Some key pieces which came into play for my project were the OT Rules and OT Practice Act, as well as amendments to both (they can be found here) as well as the Texas Administrative Code (found here) since there have been instances where clinical instructors aren't always aware of the requirements. It seems no matter where I am, there's always some supervisor who doesn't always follow the rules. For example, one of my classmates was given the full patient caseload (she was perfectly capable of handling it) and her supervisor took the day off. Although nothing went awry while the supervisor was gone, it was certainly not the appropriate thing to do.

Something else I've started looking at is the cost of the board exam and licensing requirements. While the exam currently costs $500, I also have to pay $140 to become licensed in the Texas. Or if I want to get my temporary license (which may be a legit possibility depending on upcoming interviews), that will cost me $70. I've spent quite a bit of time recently looking over the general application information. In addition to all of this, there's also a mandatory OT Jurisprudence Exam online which I also have to take.

There's so much to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment